In July 2021, SxNP launched its ‘Local Authority Network’ for all local authorities across West Sussex, East Sussex and Brighton & Hove CC.
What is it?
This network provides all local authorities in Sussex with:
- a way to connect with the work of the Sussex Nature Partnership
- access to information and resources, knowledge sharing events and forums for sharing experiences and best practice across councils
What does it do?
In 2021-22, the network is focusing on two key themes:
- developing ‘readiness’ within local authorities ahead of enactment of the Environment Bill (Local Nature Recovery Strategies and Biodiversity Net Gain);
- supporting the development and delivery of ‘nature-based solutions’ across Sussex to deliver a range of benefits including climate, flood risk, water quality, health and biodiversity
How does it work?
All local authorities in Sussex have subscribed and can therefore access the following:
- regular webinars and events on key areas of emerging policy and practice.
- access to commissioned research and project work being driven by the nature partnership on the two priorities above;
- new discussion forums to bring local authority officers and elected members together to discuss and share best practice regarding issues such as nature recovery networks, net gain and nature-based solutions;
- regular updates on relevant activity happening across Sussex and further afield;
- involvement with any of the Sussex Nature Partnership Working Groups – which bring together members of the partnership to discuss and drive forward thinking on strategic issues of importance.
- technical advice and support for appropriate project development (aligned with strategic priorities for the SxNP). The level of involvement by the SxNP secretariat will depend on project complexity and funding acquired.
If you work for a local authority in Sussex and would like to participate in the network or access recordings of past events, please contact the Secretariat on firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Authority Network Events
Provisional programme for 2022 webinars
Slides from these events will be available to download here very soon.
August 2021: Launch Event
September 2021: Developing a joint response to the Defra LNRS Consultation
October 2021: District level licensing for GC Newts
November 2021: Habitat Banking for BNG
December 2021: Future proofing local plans for the Environment Act
January 2022: Defra consultation on Biodiversity Net Gain – initial discussion